post-sarge transitions: slang

Hi Alastair,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:30:58PM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> >* Steve Langasek
> >
> >| If you are planning any other transitions that will affect a lot of
> >| packages, please let us know in advance.  We will need to complete the
> >| larger transitions as fast as possible, to get testing back into a
> >| nearly releasable state quickly again after the release.

> Whats a large transition? I'm working on slang1->slang2 in a private repository;
> around 20 or so packages depending on it.

> Currently slang2 is in pre-release; I'm working with upstream to merge Debian
> patches into it, and building all slang1
> dependencies against it.

> Expect patches in BTS two weeks after sarge releases.

slang should, I hope, be a fairly small change; OTOH, we seem to still have
conflicting slang1 and slang1a-utf8 packages in the archive (conflicting
-dev packages at least), so it would certainly be nice to wrap this up and
only have to carry one version of this core library for etch.

> Also, I am planning on obsoleting console-tools and console-data and
> transitioning to kbd; again, small but base change; see code  ASAP to test
> for breakages.

Any chance of getting to see this in experimental first?

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer