.d.o machines which are down (Re: Questions for the DPL candidates)

* Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> [2005-03-15 11:44]:
> > I wonder also, do we still not have some sun donated sparc box
> > running part of our infrastructure ? How will that stay if we drop
> > sparc support ?

> According to db.d.o:

The complete URL is http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi just for
reference.

>  - auric: RAID is dead (and auric is basically demilitarized since the
>    compromise -- not even running a buildd, although I'm not sure
>    about that)

As I understand it, the plan was to convert auric into a buildd but
the RAID needs to be fixed.  Ben Collins was looking into this but I
don't know about the status.  I've also heard discussions several
months ago about using one of Ben's really fast machines.

This is based on what I've heard at some point and may not be
accurate.  I'm CCing Ben so he can comment.

If we do need auric and if we need resources to fix the RAID, Debian
can make funding available.

>  - kubrick: disk is dead

I doubt it's worth resurrecting this machine (it's a Sparcstation 10
only).

>  - vore: I think it's acting as a buildd

Yes.

> BTW, couldn't we get our acts together and buy new disks for all those
> poor machines which disks are dead ?

If there is demonstrated need to get those machines going again, I'm
more than happy to authorize Debian funds to be used for this.

> That would resurrect quite a few machines, including an alpha buildd
> (escher).

I'm CCing Thimo Neubauer who is in charge for escher.  What I said
above applies to escher as well.  Thimo, can you let us know what the
status is and whether it would be good to have escher back?  BTW, Noah
Meyerhans at MIT has two fairly large Alpha machines he can bring up,
but so far we've been told they are not needed.
--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org