On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:51:30PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:41:16 +0000, Scott James Remnant
> <scott@netsplit.com> wrote:
> >Are you thinking of any particular developers here?
>
> For example, it suspiciously looks like the Security Team only has one
> public active member, Martin Schulze, since at least October 2004.
>
> As far as I know, the other people being publicly visible as active
> members of the Security Team in the time before October 2004, are now
> working for Ubuntu.

I assume that you are referring to me, though I'm puzzled by your use of the
plural form.

Of course, the same thing has happened in the past many times, both within
the security team and elsewhere, with different people filling the various
roles, and without Ubuntu as a convenient scapegoat.  Indeed this happens
all the time, derived from the fact that Debian work is tied very closely to
leisure time for nearly all of us.

Fortunately, the reality in this case is less bleak than your description,
and in some ways it is better than it has been in the past when people
become less active.

- Primarily behind the scenes, Steve Kemp is involved with security
  operations, actively supporting the security team in a secretary role

- Both in public[0] and in private, Martin Pitt (acting in an Ubuntu role)
  and others from the Ubuntu community have been collaborating with the
  Debian security team on patches for a wide range of vulnerabilities

- In Debbugs, Joey Hess and others have been helping security fixes to flow
  from Ubuntu to Debian unstable

The latter two points reflect how Debian is benefiting in some very direct
ways from security work being done in Ubuntu.