Hi, David Nusinow wrote:

> What about the *massive* issues with releasing d-i due to syncing on all
> arch's?

Yeah, and *after* these were solved, it was "oops, we still can't release
because of $different_problem".

Such things are somewhat more parallelizeable than has happened during
this release cycle.

> What about the various arch-specific kernel issues that have
> popped up and the problems in getting people to make all the necessary
> fixes?

If it's an arch-specific kernel, ideally it should only affect that arch.

Recently, $ARCH was taken off testing consideration because it was behind.
If that's done somewhat more aggressively in the future, those problems
are parallelizeable too, because they don't block the whole project.

> What about the huge problems in getting a decently new release
> of X in to Debian because of constant porting problems?

See above.

> What about the heavy burden on the security team?

With a decent toolset, doing a security package for 10 architectures
should be a nearly-constant amount of work, no matter which base the
number 10 is written in.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de