On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:36:47 -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
wrote:
>Well, sparc is not in any danger of being dropped from SCC. :)  As I
>said, none of the current sarge candidate architectures are.

Considered that ftbfs bugs for scc architectures are not going to be
RC any more, people will stop fixing them, thus the scc architectures
will drop from scc very fast for not even satisfying scc criteria,
reducing Debian to the gazillionth "mainstream only" distribution.

Basically, Debian is just dropping a unique selling point, and a point
which makes any audience go "aah" when mentioned it in a talk. A sad
day in history.

>I certainly agree that portability is one of Debian's selling points,
>and I also have a "pet" architecture that doesn't appear to make the
>cut for etch; but I don't think it's a coincidence that the release
>cycle got longer when we doubled the arch count between potato and
>woody, and I *know* it's not a coincidence that we have a long release
>cycle for sarge while trying to wrangle those same 11 architectures.

Both woody and sarge were delayed for multiple months waiting for
critical parts of the infrastructure. As a mere normal developer who
seems to be cut out from a lot of information which only seems to be
available for members of the "inner circle", I fail to see how
dropping architectures will make the process of making critical
infrastructure available any faster.

>Personally, I'd love to see our porter teams rise to the occasion and
>prove that we can release etch in 18 months with 8 architectures meeting
>these criteria instead of 4; but the first step is to shift the burden
>onto the porters, which is not where I believe it is today.

You are, however, at the same time, basically pulling the plug on
important resources without which the porters will have an awfully
hard time to even keep up with scc requirements.

Greetings
Marc