On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 01:17:03PM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:00:22PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > But really, is there much benefit in
> > making *releases* for the SCC architectures?
>
> What will happen is something like this:
>
> A: "Oh, let's see what we got here.... a nice Alpha server..."
> B: "Let us install Debian on it!"
> *browsing the web*
> A: "Oh, no release of Debian for Alpha... it's unsupported..."
> B: "Sad... it's a nice machine, but without a working Linux on it, we're gonna
> throw it away...."

It's unsupported officially, but unstable is still available.

The porters could do their own release if they wished.

It would be interesting to hear how NetBSD/OpenBSD handles this
situation, as they have a lot of ports. (Of course they have far fewer
packages than we do so their problem is on a much smaller scale.)
Do they release new versions on all ports at once?

Hamish