On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:31:56PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > A: "Oh, no release of Debian for Alpha... it's unsupported..."
> > B: "Sad... it's a nice machine, but without a working Linux on it, we're gonna
> > throw it away...."
> It's unsupported officially, but unstable is still available.

Ah, but we have always (rightly!) told end-users to avoid unstable

 a) it could be buggy
 b) it could be horribly broken at any given moment
 c) there may be no working installer
 d) there is no security support.

These are showstoppers.

> The porters could do their own release if they wished.

And what, publish it on Alioth?  Doesn't this bring about the same
problems that amd64 on alioth has?

> It would be interesting to hear how NetBSD/OpenBSD handles this
> situation, as they have a lot of ports. (Of course they have far fewer
> packages than we do so their problem is on a much smaller scale.)
> Do they release new versions on all ports at once?

Gentoo also has quite a lot of ports, and have quite a lot of packages,

-- John