On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:31:56PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > A: "Oh, no release of Debian for Alpha... it's unsupported..."
> > B: "Sad... it's a nice machine, but without a working Linux on it, we're gonna
> > throw it away...."
>
> It's unsupported officially, but unstable is still available.

Ah, but we have always (rightly!) told end-users to avoid unstable
because:

 a) it could be buggy
 b) it could be horribly broken at any given moment
 c) there may be no working installer
 d) there is no security support.

These are showstoppers.

> The porters could do their own release if they wished.

And what, publish it on Alioth?  Doesn't this bring about the same
problems that amd64 on alioth has?

> It would be interesting to hear how NetBSD/OpenBSD handles this
> situation, as they have a lot of ports. (Of course they have far fewer
> packages than we do so their problem is on a much smaller scale.)
> Do they release new versions on all ports at once?

Gentoo also has quite a lot of ports, and have quite a lot of packages,
also.

-- John