On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 12:47:58PM +0100, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> Basically, you're just leaving a number of Debian users out in the
> cold. Users who choose Debian because we were the only distribution
> out of there to provide serious support for the architectures they
> care for, for various reasons.

*seconded*

> Moreover, the criterias given in your mail are just so oriented
> towards/against some architectures, that it's a bad joke (I was going
> to write "disgusting", really).

It's a total change of direction: from "as long as there are people who
care, we will release those arch" to "no matter if there are people who
care, we just release mainstream archs". :-(

> If this plan gets applied as described here, we're putting years of
> hard work to the trash, which is a real shame. This looks like the end
> of "Debian, the universal OS", and that makes me feel sad.

Yes, think the same... :-(

> I joined the Project because there was no core team to decide what was
> to be done in an authoritative manner. Today, we have such a core
> team, and I'm not sure I agree with that anymore (some would rather
> say it's a cabal, well, their call).

And yet no chance to replace the cabal nor elect other people instead of
them, which is more like a problem for the project than just a few archs,
imho.

> I feel sad today, I feel it is a sad day for the Project.
>
> Congrats, folks, you've got what you've been after for several years
> now. Great job. "Doorstop architectures", EXIT this way  ---> []

This proposal is really doing harm to Debians good reputation and I'm not
sure if Debian is surviving this at all.

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/