Re: Serious kernel problems on new i386 hardware

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Jesús Roncero wrote:

I've recently had those problems also on a Dell server, using SATA too. The
fine guys from #gpul helped me a lot on this. Basically, what happened to me
is that kernel 2.4 mapped the SATA drive as /dev/hdc and kernel 2.6 mapped it
to /dev/sda
Well, after doing an

    sed -i "s/hda/sda/" /etc/fstab

                  __AND__

switching BIOS from "conventional" (=no SATA) to "normal" (=SATA)

                  __AND__

changing grub boot menu from

   kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686 root=/dev/hda3 ro
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-1-686 root=/dev/sda3 ro it worked. I really regard this problem as serious because it probably
leaves people with SATA hardware with an unbootable system after kernel-image
updates, because the kernel image packages just reinsert "root=/dev/hda?"
into grub's menu.lst . Any idea how to solve this problem?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de