Re: Serious kernel problems on new i386 hardware

might be fixable by regenerating a new initrd for the 2.6 kernel:

mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd-2.6.x-x.img 2.6.x-x

make sure to add this line to the grube menue.lst:

initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.x-x.img

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:01:42 +1100, Paul Hampson wrote
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 03:10:12PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I've got a new Dell machine which I was able to install with Kernel 2.4.
27.
> > It has a SATA drive but I disabled SATA in BIOS according to the manuals.
> > All I write in the following has this SATA disabled BIOS setting.
>
> > As I said kernel 2.4.27 works fine.  I attach a dmesg and syslog to this
> > mail.
>
> > I tried to upgrade to a 2.6.x kernel but failed always with kernel_panic.
> > I tried 2.6.8, 2.6.8 and 2.6.10 (here -1-386 and -1-686 versions) and
> > all failed with the same result:
>
> >   pivot_root: No such file or directory
> >   /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> >   Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempt to kill init!
>
> > ata: 0x1f0 IDE port busy
> > ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xFFA8 irq 15
> > ata1: dev 0 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
> > ata1: dev 1 ATAPI, max UDMA/33
> > ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
> > ata1: dev 1 configured for UDMA/33
> > scsi0 : ata_piix
> > elevator: using anticipatory as default io scheduler
> > Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
> > ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
> > ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
> > ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
> > ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
> > ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe
>
> This is your problem here. You made your initrd under 2.4.27, where your
> devices where /dev/hd?. However, 2.6 with the initrd has loaded them
> with the SATA driver, and sees them via /dev/sd?.
>
> I think you're going to have to manuall edit your initrd and fstab to
> deal with the change in device name between versions.
>
> Alternatively, pull ata_piix driver out of the initrd, and see if the
> ide driver will load and run your disks.
>
> However, that first line (IDE port busy) worries me a little, since
> it seems neither driver is actually claiming the port itself.
>
> If you want to experiment, there's a command you can put on the Linux
> kernel command line to break into the initrd before it actually does
> anything, and you can see what devices exist and drivers and whatnot.
>
> I can't remember the command though. -_-
>
> --
> Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
> 8th year CompSci/Asian Studies student, ANU
> The Boss, Bubblesworth Pty Ltd (ABN: 51 095 284 361)
> Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au
>
> "No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
> -- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"
>
> This email is licensed to the recipient for non-commercial
> use, duplication and distribution.

Have fun!