Re: Not every package should enter Debian (was: Re: Who cares about NEW when there are bigger issues? (was Re: Is NEW processing on hold? (was: Question for candidate Towns)))

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:50:05PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:42:58PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > IMHO, Debian has a serious double-problem here and needs to attack it.
> > ftp-masters should, as I understand the role, be a purely administrative
> > function: keep the archive running.  No policy decisions should be made by
> > ftp-masters.
> >
> > In that light, fully automatic NEW processing will not hurt at all (I agree
> > that a delay of a few days is sensible to give us time to react to the
> > worst problem cases.)
>
> Unfortunately reality isn't so simple. In practice, the ftp-masters
> have also become the review point for new packages. We *need* new
> packages reviewing just to filter out some of the worst of the stupid
> from the archive; frankly we need more than just new packages
> reviewing. However, splitting that task out would probably be a good
> idea.

I've had packages sent back based on reviews. And while I may be a grouchy
cuss at times, especially over some of the other issues I see with
ftpmaster, I have no complaint about having gotton one back, even when
I didn't agree with the reasoning. The ftpmaster member involved and I
discussed it, and (at least as far as I recall) I ended up resubmitting a
package that was somewhere in between, but closer to their preference than
my initial one.

Proposals have been made about splitting the task of package review from
the administrative tasks of running the archive proper, recently; they were
rejected. I consider that highly unfortunate, but if you really want to
see it, you're going to have to either convince the ftpmasters that the
proposal really does have merit enough, or convince the DPL that this is a
large enough problem that it's leading to a non-functional team.

I would suggest reading the archives on -project, for last month, where
most of this has already been thoroughly discussed, but I really don't
think that removing the filtering is a sane idea.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :