Who cares about NEW when there are bigger issues? (was Re: Is NEW processing on hold? (was: Question for candidate Towns))

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 07:52:23AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

> IMO, this actually _proves_ the case that ftpmaster is one of the
> biggest problems that Debian has at the moment, now that the DAM
> problem has been solved elegantly and efficiently.

Wrong, the BIGGEST problem is that we have so many people whining about NEW
and about other "problems" when at the same time the RC bug count does not
lower enough for us to make a release. Other _bigger_ problems:

- Maintainers do not do enough do QA in their _own_ packages
- Too many open bugs for too much time in base packages
- Too many inactive maintainers that just use their XXX@debian.org e-mail
address, talk in lists but don't contribute code or documents or what not.
- Too few people actively doing QA of _others_ packages
- Too few documentation (oriented towards our end-users)
- Too many people pushing in different directions without contributing to
the common goal: release
- Too many packages in our release, many of which only a few use
- Too many security bugs in too many packages which nobody has audited
before release
- Too many careless coding in too many package
- Too many undocumented binaries

I _do_ have packages waiting in the NEW queue. Know what? I really don't
care if it gets 10 days or 40 days or 2 months to process them. I actually
_do_ care that we don't release because maintainers are furiously sending
e-mails to -devel and others lists instead of sitting down, finding and
fixing RC bugs.

Regards

Javier

PS: Fixed and uploaded  #279483 and #292176 and #296311 before
mailing this, BTW. Just to put my hands where my mouth is.