Re: splitting a source package into 2 source packages

El sáb, 26-02-2005 a las 14:18 -0500, Josh Metzler escribió:
> On Saturday 26 February 2005 02:45 am, sean finney wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i'm maintaining a source package that produces two binary packages.
> > however, one of the packages is built from a seperately distributed (same
> > author, same website, but different tarball and versioning scheme)
> > tarball.
> >
> > so i'm thinking these two packages should be generated from their own
> > respective tarballs (and i'm not sure why they weren't in the first
> > place).  however, one thing that's not clear to me is whether or not the
> > new second source package will have to make it through the NEW queue.
> > if it does, this is a problem given that NEW seems to be stalled and the
> > previous version of the package will be totally broken when the other
> > is updated.
> >
> > comments would be appreciated... thanks.
> >
> >  sean
>
> I seem to recall hearing that NEW processing is based solely on binary
> packages, so that the new source package would not need to go through NEW
> if it creates a binary package that is already in the archive.
>
> I couldn't find anything about this through google, though, so it may be
> best to upload to experimental first and see if your new packages go right
> in or not.

 If you create a new binary, you have to wait for you package to be
processed in the NEW queue. There were a proposal for that to happen
(old sources don't traverse NEW when a binary package is added) but
nothing happened.

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
   jsogo@debian.org