Re: First line in /etc/hosts

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 12:13:34AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Also: As far as the kernel is concerned, any local IP is local to *all*
> interfaces, and it will happly reply to it (ARP and so on) if allowed to.
> The rp_filter will often avoid trouble here, BUT routers often have to
> disable rp_filter.  So add some rules to the firewall make sure nothing gets
> into 127.0.0.0/8 unless it is a local packet.

Can't you just leave rp_filter on for lo, or disable it only on those
interfaces on which you are likely to see asymmetric routes arriving?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.