Re: First line in /etc/hosts

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:25:15PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> However, now we've suddenly discovered that _other_ programs get confused by
> this! In particular, if you use an NFSv4-patched mount, it does a
> gethostname() and resolves that, which returns 127.0.0.1, which in turn makes
> it happily use that as a client identifier to the remote server. (This breaks
> when two or more such clients connect, obviously.)

This also causes problems for NIS servers, for the same reason - NIS
needs to hand out the IP address of the machine in some circumstances
and 127.0.0.1 is inappropriate.

Resolving the hostname is a standard method for obtaining an IP address
for the machine and it would be helpful if it could be reverted since I
imagine other programs are also going to run into the same issue.