Re: "The Debian exim 4 packages suck badly" on exim-users@exim.org

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 02:15:16PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> And J. Hassler asked:
> > Does it tell you which is the upstream way?  Most new users won't know.
>
> At which point Tollef quoted the debconf question, and the answer is
> "no, it doesn't."
>
> And yes, it does belong there.

I think a lot, if not most, Debian users do not care at all how upstream
does there stuff. So exim upstream puts the debian config in /usr/exim
by default, apache calls their binaries and config files httpd, and
upstream's cron doesn't have the concept of cron.d.

I'm running Debian, not LFS, gentoo or any other collection of upstream
sources without much changes. Debian uses external sources (upstream),
and changes it to behave like a Debian package. There's nothing wrong
documenting the changes in README.Debian or similar, but I don't think
that it should be required, and indeed, only cron of the three examples
I listed note this change in their documentation, for those really
interested, Debian distributes the diffs against upstream sources.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl