Re: MTA in base system installation

[First off, please follow debian list policy and refrain from Cc:'ing
me. Secondly, this discussion is more appropriate for -user, not
-devel. MFT set appropriately.]

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Philipp Hug wrote:
> > What the hell is a "base installation"?
>
> The list of packages that gets installed by d-i/debootstrap...

debootstrap doesn't install anything that requires a
mail-transport-agent.

> > Install whatever you want. You're free to install nullmailer,
> > ssmtp, etc.
>
> I know I can replace it with whatever I want, that's not the point.
> I'm just wondering if it makes sense to have a full MTA installed by
> default.

It does if you want mail to be deliverable locally on a machine
without a network connection at all. It's really a personal decision,
and exim is probably a reasonable default.

Don Armstrong

--
"It's not Hollywood. War is real, war is primarily not about defeat or
victory, it is about death. I've seen thousands and thousands of dead