Re: problem of savelog

Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> I found yesterday that mails were not delivered since about
> 6:30 in the morning so I investigated a problem and found
> that /var/log/exim/paniclog said /var/log/exim/mainlog had
> a wrong owner/permission;

[snip]

> However I found today that the situation was worse than yesterday;
>
> not only wrong owner/permission of mainlog
> -rw-------  1 root adm      0 2005-02-17 06:33 mainlog
>
> but also wrong owner/permission of paniclog(?)
> -rw-------  1 root adm      0 2005-02-17 06:33 paniclog
>
> so paniclog told me nothing today.

Ouch.  I can't say I've seen that type of problem;  although just about
everything on any of my Debian systems logs through syslog.

> I suspect that savelog in /etc/cron.daily/exim didn't work
> correctly but I couldn't find any bug in BTS.

[snip]

> Is there anyone who encountered the same problem or is this
> Alpha specific or even specific to my machine?

I haven't met up with that specific problem (except where I've made
"nonstandard" configuration changes that caused permission errors -
usually with ClamAV), but I *have* very carefully made sure that
logrotate is doing my log rotation instead of savelog on all my
logfiles.  I could never get savelog to operate "correctly" for my
usage.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!