problem of savelog

Hi all,

I found yesterday that mails were not delivered since about
6:30 in the morning so I investigated a problem and found
that /var/log/exim/paniclog said /var/log/exim/mainlog had
a wrong owner/permission;

2005-02-16 06:33:49 1D1AKL-0005JC-00 Cannot open main log file "/var/log/exim/m\
ainlog": Permission denied: euid=8 egid=8

In fact "ls -l" looked like

-rw-------  1 root adm      0 2005-02-16 06:33 mainlog

so I changed its owner/permission then I got mails.

However I found today that the situation was worse than yesterday;

not only wrong owner/permission of mainlog
-rw-------  1 root adm      0 2005-02-17 06:33 mainlog

but also wrong owner/permission of paniclog(?)
-rw-------  1 root adm      0 2005-02-17 06:33 paniclog

so paniclog told me nothing today.

I suspect that savelog in /etc/cron.daily/exim didn't work
correctly but I couldn't find any bug in BTS.

My machine is Alpha and system is of unstable.

ii  debianutils    2.12.0         Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian
ii  exim           3.36-13        An MTA (Mail Transport Agent)

Is there anyone who encountered the same problem or is this
Alpha specific or even specific to my machine?

Thanks in advance.
				2005-2-17(Thu)
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima