Re: debian-policy: Virtual package: change mp3-encoder with music-encoder

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 02:57:04PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:04:36AM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be necessary for this to work for all music encoders to have
> > the same command line interface? I haven't used MP3 encoders for many
> > years, but in their simple forms, I vaguely recall them to have been at
> > least somewhat similar in their command line syntax. They also produce
> > the same type of output.
>
> Acording to what i have in abcde, some mp3-encoders use -if for inputfile, -of
> for outputfile, other use the inputfile as an argument but not need outputfile
> and finally, lame, gogo, l3enc and xingmp3enc use INPUT and OUTPUT as
> arguments.
>
> I admit it is not the same case for all the encoders.
>
> In case you believe i am talking BS i will close the bug.

Well, if any program were to actually depend on this virtual package,
they'd need to know which encoder was being used in order to correctly
support the differing argument conventions. In which case, why not just
depend on the encoders they know how to support, which is presumably a
finite list?

Cheers,