Re: mirror the Packages files _after_ the packages!

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:51:44AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> I know you Debian people think it's just hilarious when users try to
> apt-get upgrade during the period after when the Packages files
> arrive on the mirrors, but before the packages they describe have
> fully arrived.

> "Haw haw haw, try again later", you say, never thinking that maybe
> writing the Packages files last would be the right thing to do.

> "The problem can't persist more then a couple of hours, what's the big
> deal?"

You've been told this before -- *debian-devel does not control the mirroring
implementation used by arbitrary Debian mirrors*.  Either talk to the mirror
team and give them enough information to track this down, or -- since you
know him well enough to be kept in the loop about his vacation schedule --
talk to your local mirror operator directly and get him to stop using broken
mirroring scripts.

> I can't think of any other case in Computer Science where one updates
> a descriptor before updating the thing described!!! How can you defend
> that???  No smug remarks can defend that!

And no amount of moronic, misdirected ranting will get it fixed.

> Err http://xxxxxx.linux.org.xx sid/main xxxxxxxxxxxx  404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch http://xxxxxx.linux.org.xx/debian/pool/main/xxxxx
> Fetched 26.6MB in 2m39s (167kB/s)
> E: Some files failed to download
> Error 100

Yeah, real helpful of you to blot out the only potentially useful bit of
information in your post...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer