Re: execturing libc

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 10:37:03PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> The way to circumvent a noexec is to call the dynamic linker like I
> >> did for libc:
> >>
> >> /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 <any file>
> >
> > Is it?  In sid, ia32:
> > /lib/ld-linux.so.2 ./test
> > ./test: error while loading shared libraries: ./test: failed to map segment
> > from shared object: Operation not permitted
> >
> > This is a noexec partition.
> >
> > /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /bin/ls
> > test  test.c  test.sh
> >
> > This is an exec partition.
> >

> > The hole is/has being/been closed.
>
> It still lets you execute files that don't have the executable flag
> set like libc. It's a different bug but it's still there.

Is that a bug? I can run -x perl scripts with perl <scriptname> so
why not -x ELF scripts with /lib/ld-linux.so.2 <ELFname>

What stops me taking a copy of the binary, making it +x and running
that anyway? So I don't see any security concern...

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.