Re: [Ipw2100-devel] debian, ipw2200 and wlan0

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 21:36 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 04:50:27PM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > Debian is a distribution which tries to provide good software, implying
> > changes if necessary. Wireless interfaces should be called wlan%d, not
> > eth%d, and upstream doesn't want to change because "There are fewer
> > compatability issues with existing distributions by defaulting to eth%d
> > vs. wlan%d." [1]
>
> And all upstream drivers do use eth%d.

Wrong.
- the orinoco drivers use eth
- the hostap drivers use wlan
- madwifi uses ath
- at76c503 uses wlan

It seems that every driver uses its own scheme. It's a mess.
Fortunately, some drivers give you an option to change it.

> > I'll encourage Debian kernel maintainers to make the adequate changes.
>
> No, it's a totally arbitrary and pointless change.

It isn't pointless, but it is certainly better to convince upstream and
have a quasi standard. And I propose to use wlan%d for all WLAN devices,
because it simplifies a lot. See my other mail for reasons.

Greetings,
Oliver