Re: [Ipw2100-devel] debian, ipw2200 and wlan0

Previously Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:11:28AM +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > The default interface name of the ipw2X00 driver is, has always been and
> > will continue to be, eth%d.
>
> It is and has always been eth%d for a stupid reason. That's why I
> changed it to wlan%d in the debian official package.

And here I thought Debian was a distribution which did not needlessly
change upstream policies.

You are aware that a) that will mean all existing documentation on the
ipw2100 and ipw2200 drivers will not work for Debian users and b) that
when the drivers is merged into the mainline kernel people will no
longer use the seperate ipw2100/ipw2200 packages and suddenly have their
system break because the device will use its standard name again?

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net>    It is simple to make things.