Re: More on icons for packages

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 09:41 -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> The icon I would prefer to use on the desktop/panel is 114x154 pixels
> and gives a smoother lookeing icon. I'll have to experiment with violating
> the menu spec and seeing how it works...

i would say that could sound too large for an icon. png icons
in /usr/share/pixmaps are 48x48. the other images are splash screen or
alike and should go to /usr/share/<package>.

> > another manual does not seem required. but mentionning the use
> > of .desktop would be a worth addition to the menu manual.
> >
> Except that it has little to do with the menu specification.

oh yeah! it makes the freedesktop compliant menus. have a look
in /usr/share/applications.

> For those like me who went searching for "icon" in the docs it would
> be nice to have a section with that title that points at the menu spec
> and the desktop spec and any other useful help with icon managment.

agreed. 9.3 in the policy could contains the word icon. and the menu
manual could advise to have a look at the freedesktop specifications.

> I'm still left with a question: How do I, as a package maintainer,
> provide these .desktop files so the user either automatically or by
> some simple choice gets the icon on their desktop?

put it in the menu, drag and drop on the desktop works there too. there
is no entry to specify different icon sizes, so you could also craft one
more myapp.desktop linking to the bigger icon and tell your users where
to copy it from to install it.

but i would not like at all having a program that automatically adds
icons to my desktop. it's messy enough as it is :)

ciao, piem