Re: Slightly Off Topic: Laptops for Debian

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:58:58 +1100
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 03:58:55PM -0600, Jacob Schroeder said
> > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:31:53 +0000
> > Ben Hill <ben@serosoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking for a new laptop, and wondered what DDs used. I might
> > > go for the Apple 15" powerbook, but I'm not sure.
> > >
> > > My apologies for this slightly off-topic post...
> >
> > I hear iBooks have a much better value for the money. Not just from
>
> iBook's are quite solid little machines, but be aware that you cannot
> use their internal wireless under Linux. Same with the powerbooks, but
> you can at least use a pcmcia card there (on the 15" and 17" ones).

True. But if you like the fact that iBooks don't get beat up quite as
fast, and you're a geek/hacker you can always do something like this to
get wireless:

http://www3.telus.net/thewitt/BT/

Then you don't even have an antenna sticking out like you do with
pcmcia. For that matter though, I can't see that much difference in a
wireless usb stick and a pcmcia when the usb and iBook are both used
without modification.

Just my $0.02.

Jacob