Re: not starting packages at boot

On 24-Jan-05, 03:45 (CST), Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> Last time I looked, invoke-rc.d was not yet a requirement to be used
> by packages. As far as I remember, it is for sarge, but not for woody
> and thus unuseable on woody, right?
>
> Do we already have packages that provide policy-rc.d? A quick apt-get
> search didn't show any.

At present, the standard way to control this to edit the symlinks (or
runlevel.conf, if using file-rc). This is good, because '/etc/init.d/foo start'
still works.

The standard for the future is invoke-rc.d. If a package doesn't support
this, then the thing to do is to submit a wishlist bug for invoke-rc.d
support, NOT create some new ad-hoc method.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net