Re: not starting packages at boot

On 2005-01-25 Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
> On 24-Jan-05, 03:45 (CST), Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > Last time I looked, invoke-rc.d was not yet a requirement to be used
> > by packages. As far as I remember, it is for sarge, but not for woody
> > and thus unuseable on woody, right?
> >
> > Do we already have packages that provide policy-rc.d? A quick apt-get
> > search didn't show any.

> At present, the standard way to control this to edit the symlinks
> (or runlevel.conf, if using file-rc). This is good, because
> '/etc/init.d/foo start' still works.

> The standard for the future is invoke-rc.d. If a package doesn't support
> this, then the thing to do is to submit a wishlist bug for invoke-rc.d
> support, NOT create some new ad-hoc method.

Hello,
Changing symlinks to disable a service is no working solution for
packages which do not use invoke-rc.d. - They'll include

/etc/init.d/foo start

in their postinst and will start the (disabled) service unwantedly on
any upgrade. (The correct way to disable these services is to add "exit
0" add the top of the initscript.)

invoke-rc.d is no replacement for changing symlinks, it is a necessary
piece for making changing symlinks work correctly.

(Apart from that the new init-scripts support policy-rc.d which adds a
another optional control level. - The only thing that makes use of
this are buildds, they are just diabling any daemon starts.)
                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"
                                           http://downhill.aus.cc/