Re: Do all frontends use the dpkg binary?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:01:11PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> > > $ tail -1 /etc/apt/apt.conf
> > > DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs {"logger -t DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs";};
> >
> > I wonder if it would be possible to set is as default behaviour along with
> > some logrotate scripts. Users quite often ask where are dpkg's actions
> > logged so I think this would be good idea.
> >
> This would mean the disk would gradually fill up with logs,
                      ^^^^
As it would for any log file?

> unless you
> rotated them;
  ^^^^^^^
With logrotate as most do?

> which seems to defeat the use case everybody has given for
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> dpkg's actions being logged in the first place.

To log ever package installation?

Would such a log be very large as compared to say a mail log or an http
log?

dpkg log < mail log << http log

making the logrotate use compression should help as it does with
any text file.
But I guess the file size would differ based upon your stream.
ie. a stable system would have a smaller log file than a testing system, etc.
As a data point, my unstable dialup system is averging 30k / month for a
dpkg log as I update about 3 times a month.

just my .01 euros
Kev

--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||