Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 12:53:43AM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> pe, 2005-01-21 kello 15:42 -0700, Joel Aelwyn kirjoitti:
> > However, is it really unreasonable to expect someone willing and able to
> > build their own kernel to at *least* be able and willing to set up an
> > equivs entry for the kernel provides?
>
> That won't help enough. You can have a kernel-image-2.6 package
> installed, yet still run 2.4. Depends simply are not enough for this to
> work. End result: you make people jump through hoops and don't get the
> desired result anyway.
>
> See my previous mail for better ways to tackle this.

Sorry, I thought the rest of the message would have covered that. Yes,
using a script and some of the other tricks to ensure it doesn't try to run
on a 2.4 kernel are probably necessary.

Using a Depends wouldn't necessarily solve it, either, which is why I
said that it might also work as a Recommends, since the situation I'm
concerned about is not so much "Someone who knows enough to compile their
own kernel and fiddle with it all" but "Someone who runs aptitude to
install <package>" and never thinks much about it.

There's only so much you can do for the former; for the latter, you can
do a lot more to avoid making it *easy* to set up a broken situation.
--
Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org>                                       ,''`.
                                                                     : :' :