Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

Scripsit Martin Kittel <debian@martin-kittel.de>

>> You can check in the preinst if the running kernel is new enough,
>> but that is about all you can do.

> But this happens only after you have downloaded the whole package
> and leaves you with a broken one. So I don't think that would be an
> acceptable solution.

It would be less acceptable to refuse installation for people who
prefer to install custom kernels themselves and bypass the packaging
system.

Remember that having a kernel image installed is no guarantee that it
is actually the same kernel that *runs*, so a dependency would not
prevent users from having a package that does not work.

--
Henning Makholm          "Gå ud i solen eller regnen, smil, køb en ny trøje,
                   slå en sludder af med købmanden, puds dine støvler. Lev!"