Re: NPTL support in 2.4 kernel series?

Henning Makholm <henning <at> makholm.net> writes:

> Scripsit Martin Kittel <debian <at> martin-kittel.de>
>
> >> You can check in the preinst if the running kernel is new enough,
> >> but that is about all you can do.
>
> > But this happens only after you have downloaded the whole package
> > and leaves you with a broken one. So I don't think that would be an
> > acceptable solution.
>
> It would be less acceptable to refuse installation for people who
> prefer to install custom kernels themselves and bypass the packaging
> system.

I don't think that having a dependency on a kernel image is that much different
from having one on java2-runtime, that is basically provided only by packages
that were generated by scripts similar to kernel-package. The dependency at
least tells you in advance what you should expect.
And if you really want to bypass the packaging system, you can still force dpkg
to ignore the dependency.

> Remember that having a kernel image installed is no guarantee that it
> is actually the same kernel that *runs*, so a dependency would not
> prevent users from having a package that does not work.

Point taken, but neither does having a preinst-check. This extra-protection
would have to be added in the startup scripts.