${lib}-dev, .pc and pkg-config

Hello,
I would like to ask about common practice in packaging libraries, especially
their development files. There is a rather old tool like pkg-config.
It gives standarized interface[1] for getting compiler and linker flags.
What is your recomendation for adding a .pc files in -dev package?
What is your recomendation for using pkg-config in packages dependend on
specific -dev package?
Should be a .pc file provided in any case? Or only when library required
additional -I or -L flags for compiling/linking?

A small note about pkg-config in Junichi's Debian Library Packaging guide
would be helpful, I think.

Best regards
	Artur

[1] if you are not familiar with this tool look into man pkg-config
--
Mężczyźni lepiej sprawdzają się w pracy zarobkowej, kobiety w pracach domowych
(np. małe stopy służą temu, by stać bliżej zlewozmywaka).