Re: ${lib}-dev, .pc and pkg-config

Hi,

> I would like to ask about common practice in packaging libraries, especially
> their development files. There is a rather old tool like pkg-config.
> It gives standarized interface[1] for getting compiler and linker flags.
> What is your recomendation for adding a .pc files in -dev package?
> What is your recomendation for using pkg-config in packages dependend on
> specific -dev package?
> Should be a .pc file provided in any case? Or only when library required
> additional -I or -L flags for compiling/linking?
>
> A small note about pkg-config in Junichi's Debian Library Packaging guide
> would be helpful, I think.

I'd guess the current practice is that most people have put them into
the -dev package, since they are useful.

I've checked the libpkg guide, and I found a chapter called
'Annotated list of files that usually reside in -dev package'
which contains reference to pkgconfig.

What is it that you would request in addition?

regards,
	junichi