Re: PHP application packaging policy/best practice?

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Paul Hampson wrote:
> > Some people have pointed out that other PHP programs go to /usr/share
> > as well. Just to complement: Perl modules also get installed to
> > /usr/share if they are not architecture-specific. Python seems not to
> > be that way, as its standard sys.path does not include /usr/share/*.
>
> On the other hand, python drops .pyc and .pyo files into the same
> directory as the .py file at python install-time. I'd hazard a guess
> that it can't find the .pyc and .pyo files if they're in a different
> place than the .py file they come from.

The bytecode is platform-independent, isn't it?  That means it also belongs
to /usr/share.  OTOH, if .pyo is object code that is platform-dependent,
then that means all that python stuff needs to be moved to /usr/lib, if
python cannot be told to stop byte-compiling stuff under /usr/share.

  Henrique Holschuh