Re: closing upstream bugs with debian/changelog

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:02:21AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> wrote:

> > uninformative close message makes it much more difficult to work out why
> > the maintainer thought the bug was fixed.

> Why the maintainer thought it was fixed does NOT matter.  It's whether
> you think it's fixed or not that's important.  If you think it's still
> broken, reopen the bug.  Or if that fails repeatedly, go to the committee.

Communication is often more effective if people actually say things.
Simply reopening the bug without explanation is as unhelpful as closing
it without explanation so if I find myself doing that I generally try to
understand why the bug has been closed so that I can try to explain why
I feel it hasn't been fixed.  Having some idea why the bug was closed in
the first place makes this process a lot easier.