Re: closing upstream bugs with debian/changelog

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 09:11:54PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> However, it is my firm belief that all bug submitters should respect
> your work by actually verifying for themselves that the bug is indeed
> fixed.  After all, you might have made a simple typo/think in writing or
> verifying the fix to the bug.  It'd be a pity if it weren't picked up just
> because the submitter was complacent.

Actually, this is one of the reasons I find uninformative changelog
entries problematic - should the bug not actually be fixed an
uninformative close message makes it much more difficult to work out why
the maintainer thought the bug was fixed.

> Besides, you can also provide the explanation by posting them to the
> BTS directly.  Granted this is not as convenient as slipping them into
> the Debian changelog, but alas we don't put things in the Debian

Yes - if you don't want to put the information in the changelog then
that would seem to be an appropriate way to close the bug.

> changelog just because it is convinient.  Otherwise we'd be closing
> bugs fixed in past Debian versions (or bugs that aren't bugs at all)
> using the Debian changelog.

That's not actually an unknown practice, unfortunately.