Re: Renaming packages

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:15:36PM -0500, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> That's about the size of it. I just don't buy the argument that the
> name is confusing, or that Terminal has an unfair advantage over the
> other poor ol' terminal emulator packages in the Great Debian Terminal
> Emulator Package Contest.

Either do I.  But I do think generic names should be more carefully used
than ordinary names.  For one thing, it takes away the possibility to
later on use the generic name as a convenient virtual package, provided
by all the alternatives.

Fair enough that you want to differentiate between official GNUstep
programs and others.  That sounds like a reasonable idea.  So leave
gnustep-* as meaning packages of official/base GNUstep, and *.app for
other packages.

> I'm looking forward to any proposed GNUstep application package naming
> policy for Debian; I will of course comply. I favor the "*.app" naming
> convention, since that's often used in the *step community to refer to
> programs.

Considering your strong interest in such a thing, maybe you should get
involved in setting one up? :)

   Vince

--
    Vincent Ho