Re: Renaming packages

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 04:54:41PM -0500, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> If there's another package or pseudo-package that needs the name
> 'terminal', I'm all ears.

Your argument, as I understand, carries weight insofar as the upstream
package is named Terminal.  You wish to use the package's "Real Name."

Since no other upstream such as Konsole or Gnome-Terminal has written an
application named "Terminal", until somebody writes one there's no
problem.

The counter-argument is that "terminal" confuses people into thinking
it's *the* preferred terminal (I know I certainly got that impression
about viewpdf and camera).

Another counter argument is that while any upstream could have already
written "Terminal," none did, probably to avoid precisely this
confusion.  Now we have to decide what to do with the single Upstream
that didn't.

On #debian-devel they suggested referring this to the upstream, with an
agreement and both sides presented.  It seems to me it comes down to
whether you weigh the package-name-same-as-upstream argument more than
the confusing-package-name argument.