Re: more overly-generic package names from gnustep

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:54:59AM -0800, Number Six wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:56:48PM -0800, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > Programs would be better served to give themselves an original
> > name, descriptive where possible, and leave the generic names for
> > aliases or, where appropriate, alternatives.
>
> So, again, as I said in the '/etc/friendlynames' thread, you
> therefore conclude that ImageMagick's 'display' and GNUSteps
> 'viewpdf' are following a bad practice

Absolutely. I've said this in the past.

> We have to live with it because they are 800-lb, 800-year old
> gorillas, but small fry need not expect the same kind of treatment.

It has nothing to do with the size or the popularity. If someone were
to ITP imagemagick now, I would object to it on the same grounds I
objected to "email" and am objecting in this thread. It's 100% a
history and precedent issue. If we were to rename "displaÿ" at this
point, wé'd have to put in a symlink anyway.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill