Re: [debian-printing] Packaging of vendor PPD files.

"Per Olofsson" <pelle@dsv.su.se> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 22:56 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> > * PPDs in PPD collection packages should be put in
>> >   /usr/share/postscript/ppd/<vendor>/.
>>
>> OK.  Just a note: Gimp-Print will be split like so:
>> gimp-print/$version/$language_$region/ so tools will have to cope with
>> a "deep" tree.
>
> Yes, they should be able to do that. But do they need to be
> locale-aware as well in order to select the correct $language_$region
> directory?
>
>> > * A meta package, ppd-all, should depend on all PPD collection
>> >   packages.
>>
>> I'd prefer ppd-common or ppd-base (I take "all" imply "everything").

I was thinking that if the printing packages (CUPS etc.) want to
provide a symlink to the PPDs, they will need to create a symlink /to/
somewhere, otherwise danglink symlinks will be created which might
cause problems.  A base/common package can provide an empty
/usr/share/ppd to which they can link.

This is a separate issue from a ppd-all, which would install all ppds.
(I'm unsure how useful this would be--I only use a single PPD for my
Epson C60; all the rest are just taking up disk space.)

> BTW, are you subscribed to d-policy? If so, please reply only to this
> list so that we won't have to cross-post.

No.  I'll subscribe now.

--
Roger Leigh