Re: cups job hangs "network host 'foo' is busy", looks like gs invocation issue

"Thomas E. Vaughan" <tevaugha@ball.com> writes:

> lp        2432  0.0  0.8 20560 9012 ?        S    15:58   0:00 gs -dBATCH -dPARANOIDSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=hpijs -sDeviceManufacturer=HEWLETT-PACKARD -sDeviceModel=HP LaserJet -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=612 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=792 -dDuplex=false -r300 -sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:MediaType=0,Quality:PenSet=0,PS:MediaPosition=7 -dIjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile=| cat >&3 /dev/fd/0

> Note in particular the gs line, in which I see
>
>    -sDeviceModel=HP LaserJet
>
> Call me crazy, but this looks bad.  The unquoted argument
> makes me wonder if gs is hanging because it expects 'HP
> Laserjet' for the DeviceModel but instead just gets 'HP'.

I'm not sure if it's the real problem here (it was quoted in the 'sh
-c' version').  If you can replicate the problem, try

cat /proc/PID/cmdline | xargs -0 -n 1 echo

which will split each option onto a separate line, so you can see if
the quoting worked or not.

> Could this be the cause of my woes, or am I just likely
> screwed up some other way.  CUPS was working for me not too
> long ago.  I don't know what has happened.

It could be (I've seen this before).  What is responsible for invoking
gs?

Also set LogLevel to debug in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, and then have a
look in /var/log/cups/error_log.

--
Roger Leigh