Re: Co-maintaining Kaffe

Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

Ean Schuessler <ean@debian.org> writes:
OK. I should not act like this. I'm just a little tired.

1° your last upload was  on Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:18:30 -0500. Since them,
  there has been two NMU on mid december (not by me). My first NMU was
  on Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:02:59 +0100. Since mid december, you've not
  uploaded kaffe. There has been three releases since your last upload;

2° there are 7 RC bugs for 48 days. Do you have a plan about them?

3° Except for the two last uploads, I send you a private mail before
  doing each NMU, proposing you to collaborate... and when I can reach
  you (I first receive mails that told me to resend the message and
  then another message told me it was impossible to deliver the mail
  because of a permission problem...), I have to wait for two weeks and
  still have nothing concrete about a collaboration;

4° You did propose to set up a project on Alioth... there already is a
  pkg-java project on Alioth that would be a good place to put kaffe[1];

5° You publicly wrote a mail saying you were not interesting in
  packaging kaffe no more: 'The truth is that I should give Debian up
  for adoption because I don't have the time to properly maintain it.'[2];

I may be slow in my packaging of Kaffe but it is not as if I am
totally  unresponsive. You have made changes (such as disabling all

I must argue with that, 7 RC bugs for months and months.. Heck they existed before the breaking. They existed right after woody was released. This is an ongoing problem with Ean - kaffe seems to be a package that needs an entire team of developers (or at least a very responsive and fast moving one), but Ean is neither.

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=ean@novare.net

http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=avdyk@debian.org

I would have to say that Arnaud has done more work on the on Kaffe than Ean over the last couple of months (even ignoring the breaking). Arnaud seems to somehow be able to maintain all these java packages without RC bugs.

Anyway, I'm not trying to undermine Ean. It is just that if no one steps up to actually fix Kaffe and get it in testing, we will not have Kaffe in Sarge. And yes, I know that no one really cares about Kaffe in -devel :P

For more details, please see my message to -java. I didn't even know this thing got cross-posted to -devel.

- Adam