Re: Hijacking ITPs ?

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:12:11PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> So if someone hijacks a two week old ITP, they should be prepared to
> hand it back when the original submitter returns the following week,
> having finished burying Grandma and settling the estate, or settled
> into the new house after the old one burned down, or whatever.

I don't disagree with you on this.  We've been seeing years between
stable releases of Debian. Although ITP's have nothing to do with
release cycles, the idea of waiting doesn't really fit the fast paced
world of Free Software.

If the original ITP author is not involved enough to let his intentions
be known clearly and what type of time table he's on, then he has to
share part of the blame.  Perhaps the original ITP's should have a note
at the end that predicts the eventual upload of the package:

	"I intend on uploading this package by YYYY-MM-DD, but give me
	an X week lee-way before pestering me."

Periodic posts to BUG@bugs.debian.org updating the progress of the ITP
would be useful as well.

Communication is the key to understanding, right?  No communication, no
claim.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/