Re: Attempted Progress Report: Sarge

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:48:56PM -0800, Joe Buck wrote:
> Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> writes:
> > Any gcc update can be major since it tends to break various
> > things. On Dec 29 gcc-3.3 was synced up with cvs again. Luckily I
> > haven't seen any breakage caused by it.
>
> However, the GCC 3_3_branch is under very strict rules: no changes
> are allowed except to fix regressions (that is, to fix breakage
> that was not present in earlier releases).  The main trunk of GCC
> development is in what will become 3.4; the 3.3 branch will put
> out a 3.3.3 release probably in late January.  It's in sarge's
> interest to get the additional bug fixes.  I can't promise you
> that no new bug will be introduced, but assure you that the GCC
> team is very careful and rigorous with stable branches when they reach
> this stage (3.3 already had two point releases for bug fixes,
> 3.3.1 and 3.3.2).

I already see new "bugs" wrt gcc 3.3.2 vs 3.3.3. As mentioned in my
other post kdegraphics and kdenetwork can't be compiled without patches.
Both were compiled fine with default gcc in mid Oct.

> Now, when Debian jumps to 3.4-pre you can expect to see considerable
> breakage, because there's a completely new C++ parser that fixes
> almost all the remaining deviations from the official language.
> That is likely to break some C++ source code because the code is
> invalid but accepted by 3.3, and there are also likely to be some
> new bugs.

Fun :) At least hopefully it won't break much after 3.4. Debian had
better not jump to 3.4-pre before sarge releases, or I will scream. I
have a feeling KDE won't compile with gcc 3.4 without major fixes.

Chris