Re: Attempted Progress Report: Sarge

Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> writes:
> Any gcc update can be major since it tends to break various
> things. On Dec 29 gcc-3.3 was synced up with cvs again. Luckily I
> haven't seen any breakage caused by it.

However, the GCC 3_3_branch is under very strict rules: no changes
are allowed except to fix regressions (that is, to fix breakage
that was not present in earlier releases).  The main trunk of GCC
development is in what will become 3.4; the 3.3 branch will put
out a 3.3.3 release probably in late January.  It's in sarge's
interest to get the additional bug fixes.  I can't promise you
that no new bug will be introduced, but assure you that the GCC
team is very careful and rigorous with stable branches when they reach
this stage (3.3 already had two point releases for bug fixes,
3.3.1 and 3.3.2).

Now, when Debian jumps to 3.4-pre you can expect to see considerable
breakage, because there's a completely new C++ parser that fixes
almost all the remaining deviations from the official language.
That is likely to break some C++ source code because the code is
invalid but accepted by 3.3, and there are also likely to be some
new bugs.