Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 13:32, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Isaac Clerencia writes:
>
> > On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 00:26, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> >> Perhaps debconf could be changed to use gettext instead.  I.e. when
> >> it sees a translatable string in a template, it calls gettext on
> >> it.  That way, all the translation packages have to do is to put
> >> the .(g)mo files in the right location.
>
> > debconf is already able to use gettext, see po-debconf
>
> > lots of packages already use debconf with gettext
>
> Yes, but the difference is that the only thing po-debconf changes is
> that the different translations are now not stored in one big file in
> the package anymore, but in several separate files in the package.
> The keywords are "in the package", and for the translators, po-debconf
> fixes some encoding problems, but doesn't address the other problems
> with the current system.

You're right, it's a real pain when you have to upload your package
several times because of new .po files.

It would be perfect if they would be maintained out of the package.

--
Isaac Clerencia  | Using Debian GNU/Linux | JID: isaaccp@jabber.org
 Alternativas libres :: http://alts.homelinux.net