Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:01:20 +0000
Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:28:13PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> >     2. The translators don't try to get their work included in
> >     Debian
> >        packages.  Instead they provide one package of their own,
> >        that they can occasionally release in sid if they want to.
>
> Didn't we do this at great length a year or two ago when the DDTP
> started up?

In the end, also using the ddtp, package maintainers still have to
include the translations in their package. For every additional
translation is some language there has to be a new release (you can
update multiple languages at one of course). I agree it would be better
if we could come up with a system which decouples release of the binary
with that of the translation.

But apart from that, the big problem I have with the ddtp is that you
translate one question at the time. This is really bad for several
reasons. This way there's a big chance several translators work on one
template, which is bad for consistency. Second, you don't immediately
know, as translator, if a whole package is done. Chances are that you
have multiple package partly translated, sitting in the ddtp doing
nothing. And last but not least: the mails the interfaces sends are
horrific, it much easier to just translate a po-file with the normal
tools and send the result to to the BTS.

grts Tim