Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:43:48AM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:01:20 +0000
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:28:13PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> > >     2. The translators don't try to get their work included in
> > >     Debian
> > >        packages.  Instead they provide one package of their own,
> > >        that they can occasionally release in sid if they want to.
> >
> > Didn't we do this at great length a year or two ago when the DDTP
> > started up?
>
> In the end, also using the ddtp, package maintainers still have to
> include the translations in their package. For every additional
> translation is some language there has to be a new release (you can
> update multiple languages at one of course). I agree it would be better
> if we could come up with a system which decouples release of the binary
> with that of the translation.

I don't think this would be better. Ultimately, we have to get the
things to users, and our tried-and-tested means for doing so is through
.debs (not one .deb per little bit of text, one .deb per *package*). The
text in question is used when the .deb is being configured, and
therefore needs to be available at the right time; if you propose any
decoupling then you must consider dependencies, and that turns into a
nightmare very quickly. Let's keep it simple.