Re: python again

John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:39:03AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>>I am of the opinion that versioned dependencies are used far too often
>>on Debian, and that they are also forced upon us too often by packages
>>that install into directories for specific Python versions.
>>
>>For instance, on my system, I have
>>/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/debconf.py.  This is a pure Python
>>module and it has no business being in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.
>>It should be in /usr/lib/site-python, so that it will be visible to any
>>version of Python.  If it requires feature specific to Python 2.3, it
While you're at it: It probably should be /usr/share/site-python for FHS
compliance (I know that this has been discussed and that there's more to
it than just moving).
For the problem you're discussing: AFAIUI (which is not too far), the
problem is with the py[co]. Maybe it would be appropriate just to have
python generate (and look for, maybe with fallback)
package.PYTHON-VERSION.py[co]. Then dump a list of your to be compiled
py-files in /var/lib/python/module-registry/package-name and call some
script "complile me" or "remove me" in postinst and postrm. The second
part is pretty much (part of) what I understood python-central was
supposed to do, but that never took off...

Kind regards

Thomas